Monday, July 15, 2013

MANES 'N TAILS . . . .


I am always up for a trail ride at Shepp.  I don't know that I can still hoist a saddle over a horse's back but can still bridle and groom if requested.  I can still get my left foot in the stirrup and get myself up without assistance . . . yay!!!!  We have 15 mules and now 3 horses at the ranch  Last week Bobby (the ranch handyman and wrangler) and I took a trail ride.  Bobby rode one of the new mares and I rode Alfalfa the mule.   We did a three mile loop up into the high country and back down.   This is the loop for most guest trail rides.

Alfalfa the mule and new mare behind her saddled up and ready to ride . . .
 
Me and Alfalfa on the trail . . .
 
Bobby takin' a break on the trail . . ..
 
I enjoy riding Alfalfa.  She is very steady and calm, and when the new mare didn't want to cross  a small creek or other obstacle Alfalfa and I would lead the way. 

Me and Alfalfa takin' a break on the trail . . . .
 
Because we are riding on steep terrain the horses and mules all have special harnesses etc behind the saddle and hind quarters to hold the saddle on through steep downhills.  The mules do not have 'withers' like a horse and thus the saddle would slide over the mule's head on a steep downhill if the saddle were not held on around the mule's hind quarters.

The vistas are beautiful.  We leave the ranch  at about 8:30 a.m. so it not too hot and we are home by 10:30 a.m.

My view, between Alfalfa's ears on the way back down to the ranch . . ..
 

 

1 comment: