Tuesday, October 8, 2013

WEDDING BELLS FOR STAN AND PATTI AT THE JAMES RANCH AND GOOD BY TO THE RIVER OF NO RETURN . . . . . .

The morning of Saturday, September 7th was clear.  My sister Andrea and I left New Meadows for Vinegar Creek at 6:00 a.m. with cello and fiddle in hand.  We were going to the James Ranch to play music for Stan and Pattie's Wedding at the James Ranch.  We stopped at the River Rock Café for breakfast and then headed up the Salmon River Road for Vinegar Creek to catch our jet boat up river.

Andrea and cello awaiting jet boat at Vinegar Creek . . .
 
Andy and I had not been up the Salmon River together in over 30 years so this was a special trip for both of us.  In addition, we were about to play our first ever wedding together on cello and fiddle. 
 
Mike showed up shortly with the jet boat and we met Patti's daughters there too who were riding up river with us.
 
Andrea on the jet boat, holding her cello in her lap to protect it from the bumps . . .
 
Andy and I got off at Shepp ranch to get settled in our cabin before heading up to the James Ranch for the wedding which was to start at 3 p.m.  We left Shepp at about 12:30 p.m. to get to the Ranch by 1:00 p.m. to get ready.
 
Just at the top of the bar at James Ranch . . . .
 
Upon arrival the James Ranch was 'abuzz' with wedding preparations.  Pre-wedding refreshments were served in Stan's beautiful home.  Andy and I played some tunes out on the deck looking out over the river before the wedding started.   Just before the ceremony we moved to the patio where the actual ceremony was to take place and guests were gathering.
 
Andy and I playing before the start of the ceremony . . .
 
Just before the start of the ceremony Andy got stung by a yellow jacket on her bowing hand, but was still ready in time to play Pachelbel's Cannon while the bride walked across the patio to meet her groom. 
 
The bride and groom exchange vows and rings . . . .
 
The wedding party . . .
 
The first tune we played after the ceremony was the Ash Grove Waltz.
 
Following the ceremony and a champagne toast we all had dinner on the front deck.  Stan and Patti shared their wedding cake.
 
While awaiting the wedding dinner Patti and her daughters share a few special moments.
 
The bride and her beautiful daughters  . . .
 
 
Cutting the wedding cake . . . .
 
A special moment shared by two . . . .
 
Andy and I went back to Shepp ranch with Mike and Lynn in the early evening.  The next morning after breakfast Andy and I took a hike up the river trail before heading back to Vinegar Creek.
 
Andy on the river trail . . .
 
My last hike up the river trail . . . .
 
And thus I bring my time at Shepp Ranch on the Salmon River to a close.  This is my last blog.  And did I find 'my inner elk?   I think so.  I found out  how much I could physically accomplish at this age of 62 . . .  not as much as I initially thought I could.  I found many special new human and animal friends. I learned how to bake a pie . . .. and bread.  I found many new things about myself I never knew.  And I returned to the Salmon River Canyon, a place I have loved for the majority of my adult life.  As Zeke West once told me many years ago, "once you drink the water of the Salmon River you will always return."
 
And now I am back in my beloved New England, in Vermont.  My favorite poet Robert Frost wrote in his poem, Stopping By the Woods on a Snowy Eve:
 
These woods are lovely dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
 
Good by Salmon River, and so much love to all I encountered there.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment