Wednesday, September 11, 2013

ONE FISH, TWO FISH, RED FISH, MIKE'S FISH !!!!

Fly fishing is a favorite activity of guests at Shepp Ranch.  It is especially a favorite of Mike's, manager of Shepp Ranch.  So, one lovely summer evening Mike and I went fly fishing.   Mike took me to four of his favorite fishing holes on Crooked Creek.  The first hole is just under the first bridge headed towards the air strip.  There Mike reviewed with me my fly casting.  He immediately caught a fish.  I just practiced my casting.

Mike fly casting . . . . . .
 
Favorite flies Mike used this summer include Zug Bugs, ___________, _______________, _________________ and ___________________.  These are all what he terms 'dry flies,' which means they stay on the surface of the water as opposed to sinking under.  Much to my amazement, Mike seems to catch a fish on virtually every cast.  All of the fish caught on Crooked Creek by Mike are 'catch and release' for him.  In this way he will know where guests can catch that big one in the future.
 
 
Reeling one in . . .
 
and another . . . 
 
The fish caught are Rainbow Trout, Cutthroats and Brookies.  On this evening I did not catch a fish on my own.  Mike allowed me the privilege of reeling in one of his, but alas, I lost it.  The fish are anywhere from 1/2 pound to 1 1/2 pounds. 

 
Mike and a guest catch one up Crooked Creek.  Notice the dogs always go along on fishing expeditions . . .
 
A beautiful rainbow trout taken one day up by Arlington Creek where Mike and Lynn were camping and fishing for a few days . . . .
 
Steelhead fishing is reserved for spring and fall.  Trout fishing with light fly tackle is for summertime.
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment